Total Pageviews

Friday, July 29, 2011

Waters Crest Winery

A few months ago, I tried the 2009 Waters Crest Rose, and after enjoying it very much, I decided to visit Waters Crest Winery.  And aside from enjoying their wines, I was impressed that all tastings are done with Riedel glasses.


The first wine I tasted was the 2010 Rose, a blend of Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc, very pale pink in color, with characteristics of watermelon and strawberry, and a hint of white flowers and light citrus.  The wine is very light but shows bright acidity and a nice, long finish, and I think this is a versatile wine, which I enjoyed.
Next was the 2010 Campania Bianco, a blend of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Riesling.  The wine is a straw color, with notes of white citrus, apple, peach, melon, blossom, and a bit of an herbal, grassy characteristic.  On the palate, the Sauvignon Blanc is quite evident.  The texture is crisp and leaves the palate feeling clean.
I then tried the 2010 Dry Riesling, which is extremely pale straw in color, with characteristics of a dry Alsatian style Riesling - light citrus, a bit of tropical fruit, and mineral qualities, with very bright acidity.
The last white I tasted was the 2009 Reserve Chardonnay, which has characteristics indicative of the French oak in which it fermented.  It is a pale golden color, with notes of light citrus, pear, baked apple, oak, and baking spice, with a bit of honey and toast.  The texture is smooth and buttery and the finish is long.  This was probably my favorite of the whites.



We then moved on to the reds, and first was the 2007 Merlot, a ruby colored wine with a slightly brickish rim, showing characteristics of berry and plum and just a hint of cherry, vanilla, and warm spice.  The wine is so nicely balanced and the finish is long, and I enjoyed this wine very much.
Next was the 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon “Grand Vin,” which I also enjoyed.  The wine is a dark red with notes of dark berry and plum, with gentle spice and chocolate and a bit of earthiness, another well balanced wine with a long finish.  I would like to try this wine with grilled meat or red sauce.
I then tried the 2007 Cabernet Franc.  Cabernet Franc is not usually among my favorites, but this particular wine I enjoyed  - it has both gentle and tart fruit characteristics as well as a bit of spice from the new French oak in which it aged for 18 months, and earthy characteristics as well.  The texture is soft and smooth.
The last red I tasted was the 2008 Bookends, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot.  This was my favorite of the reds, with a dark color and notes of both fresh and stewed berry, plum, baking spices, and chocolate.  On the palate it feels a bit warm, with a lovely texture and a long finish.


However, my favorite wine of the tasting was the final one - the 2009 Night Watch Late Harvest.  This is a dessert wine with a golden color and characteristics of orange and honey, white blossoms, pineapple, and apricot, with a very soft and smooth texture and a very long finish.  This wine is absolutely beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment