Total Pageviews

Monday, April 23, 2012

2010 Colosi Nero d’Avola

I’ve been trying so many unique wines lately, some from well known regions made from well known grapes, and some from off-beat regions, and some made from off-beat grapes.  It’s a great way to learn and it’s fun for me, and makes for some interesting wine conversations.

But on Sundays, when I’m having a traditional Italian dinner, I tend to prefer more traditional wines to pair with it.

Before our family favorite became Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, we used to drink Colosi, a Sicilian red made from Nero d’Avola.  It’s been a few years since I’ve had Colosi, but it’s available to me again and last night that’s what I picked for Sunday dinner.

2010 Colosi Nero d’Avola from Sicily is a really good value wine under $20.  It’s a fairly dark red with characteristics of mostly dark fruit, including blackberry, black cherry, and some plum, herb and soft spice, a hint of purple flowers, and some nice earthiness.  The balance is good, the texture is smooth, and the finish is respectable.  It’s so good to be able to find Colosi again!

2010 Colosi Nero d’Avola (Sicily)

No comments:

Post a Comment