Total Pageviews

Friday, February 15, 2013

When I’m not Being a Wine Rebel...


I’ve realized an interesting thing recently - I used to run to my blog to write all about a new offbeat wine I had tried.  I’ve been wondering why I do that less these days.  I find it’s because quite often it’s offbeat wines I’ve been drinking - Vranac, Negroamaro, Tannat, Mencia, etc.  I’m unlikely to stop going for the offbeat wines anytime soon, so perhaps I ought to take even more note when I go for a traditional style wine.

So what are my traditional style favorites?  Well, I’ve already written extensively about why I have a special place in my heart for Nebbiolo and how it translates to a similar feeling I have toward people and how we find our identities as we age.  Malbec I love because it’s delicious when well executed.  Super Tuscans are exquisite when not “overdone.”  So where does my traditional preference really lie?

Bordeaux.

And who wouldn’t love a great Bordeaux?  They’re majestic, delicious, and all-around wonderful.  And currently, my favorites seem to be coming from Margaux.  I’ve seen the question posed numerous times online: “If you could only drink wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy, or Rhone for the rest of your life, which would you choose?”  Well, Burgundies are so easy on the palate and remarkably food friendly.  Rhones seem to be the most cost efficient and in my opinion among the most exciting and honest.  But Bordeaux - for me, nothing beats Bordeaux.  Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot blends, sometimes with a touch of Malbec, Carmenere, or Petit Verdot - what can be better?

I do realize everyone’s palate is different, but I’d be hard pressed to find someone who wouldn’t love a great Bordeaux.  And while they tend to be quite expensive, I think most of us would agree it’s hard to pass up on a great one, especially with some special vintages being released.

So at a special occasion, other than popping a good Champagne, what is it I choose to celebrate with?  It’s Bordeaux.

No comments:

Post a Comment