Total Pageviews

Friday, November 18, 2011

6th Sense Syrah

Over the past year or so, I’ve tried some less than impressive American Syrahs.  Too much fruit, or too much spice, whatever the case was, I wasn’t enjoying them.
And then, not long ago, I received a gift in the mail, which I finally opened last weekend - a bottle of the 2008 Michael-David 6th Sense Syrah from Lodi.  Already impressed with Seven Deadly Zins Zinfandel from the same winery, I was eager to try the Syrah.  Syrah based wines had been among my favorites, particularly from the Rhone and from South Australia - but those Syrah wines have not been particularly similar to the American Syrahs I’ve tasted.  And now I was ready to try another American Syrah.

2008 Michael-David 6th Sense Lodi Syrah

6th Sense Syrah has a deep ruby color and characteristics of dark berry and cherry, jam, some smooth baking spices and vanilla, black pepper, and smoke.  The fruit and spice flavors provided an excellent contrast to the dish I chose, and the smokiness was also a good parallel to the ingredients in the dish.  The dish was a recipe I created as I prepared it - a sort of “mature” mac-n-cheese with cheddar, parmigiano reggiano, gruyere, and smoked gouda, as well as caramelized onions and pancetta.  I do love pairing Syrah with bigger flavored cheeses, and the smokiness of the wine worked perfectly with the smoked gouda and pancetta.  The acidity in the wine made it food-friendly for sure and cut through the creamy cheese in the dish, and the wine had enough smooth but very present tannin to give it a luscious texture.  The finish reflects the fruit and spice.

6th Sense Syrah with mac-n-cheese

I enjoyed this wine with dinner and throughout the evening and it’s currently my favorite American Syrah.  The flavors come together beautifully, the wine is nicely balanced, and I love the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment