Total Pageviews

Monday, November 21, 2011

Birthday Barolo and an Exciting Roter Veltliner

It’s November 21...which means today I’m another year older.  But fortunately I’m still getting proofed, even after mentioning that I’m a sommelier, so perhaps I don’t quite look my age.  Tonight for my birthday dinner, I’ll be opening a 2005 Sacco Barolo, about which I’ll post my tasting notes later on this week.

2005 Sacco Barolo

Last night I tried something fun and new - it seems I can’t go to Lake Side Emotions Wine Boutique without finding something I’ve never tried before.  This was the 2009 Leth Roter Veltliner from Wagram, Austria.  I know it sounds like Gruner Veltliner, but in fact the only thing the two grapes have in common is their place of origin.  They’re not related - in fact, not much is known of Roter Veltliner’s parentage.

2009 Leth Roter Veltliner

The Roter Veltliner is a pale yellow/straw color and a bit viscous, with soft aromas and characteristics of citrus including orange and grapefruit, orchard fruit (particularly a soft apple note), but mostly tropical fruit including coconut and pineapple and something I couldn’t quite pinpoint, as well as a cool mineral characteristic and very soft spice.  The wine is a bit on the exotic and unique side and unlike anything I’ve tasted before.  It has enough acidity to feel clean and make it food-friendly, but a somewhat sweet taste that masks the acidity slightly.  It was paired with grilled mahi mahi and my own risotto recipe.  At under $20 here in NY, it seems like a good value for an exciting and elegant wine.



No comments:

Post a Comment