Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

2010 Ferrando La Torrazza Canavese Rosso


Around Christmas I wrote about a wine I had never tasted before and had it with fish on Christmas Eve - the Ferrando La Torrazza Erbaluce di Caluso, an interesting white from Piemonte.  Recently I saw a red by the same producer - the 2010 Ferrando La Torrazza Canavese Rosso.  I was intrigued by it and had to bring home a bottle.  It’s a blend of Nebbiolo and Barbera.  I’ve had wines made from each of those grapes many times but never as a blend, so I was curious as to what it would be like.


It’s a fairly deep red color and due to its high alcohol content of 14% it stains the glass.  It shows characteristics of both red and dark fruit, baking spices, and vanilla and chocolate near the finish.  The aroma shows more “funk” than the flavor does - in fact, the flavors are very traditional and reflect the Piemonte terroir.  The wine has a nice texture, bright acidity, a clean and smooth feel, and a nice finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment