Total Pageviews

Monday, August 6, 2012

2011 Tasca d’Almerita Regaleali Bianco


A few weeks ago I tasted this white and had to have a bottle, which was perfect last night with Fettuccine Alfredo on the porch.  I love uncomplicated, clean summer sippers, and on a hot, humid evening, it was just what I wanted.

I’ve tasted rose and a few reds (even one at Gambero Rosso this year) from Regaleali, which is one of my favorite Sicilian producers, and now I can add the Tasca d’Almerita Regaleali Bianco to the list.  The 2011 Bianco is a traditional blend of Sicilian white grapes Inzolia, Grecanico, and Catarratto.  It’s a straw color and shows characteristics of citrus and crisp orchard fruits laced with some minerality, and a clean, fresh feel with bright acidity and a longer finish than I had expected.  It would be ideal with a seafood dish but cuts nicely through a creamy pasta dish like the fettuccine.

I think most people associate Italian whites with Pinot Grigio and the occasional Gavi, but there really is a lot more out there to try, and those three Sicilian white grapes are a good example of fun, lesser-known whites from Italy.


No comments:

Post a Comment