Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 5, 2013

2007 Chateau Bouscasse Madiran


I had an awesome wine from Sud-Ouest the other night.  I know this isn’t a surprise, since I drink wines from South West France regularly, but this one was REALLY good.  Those dark, wild, meaty, earthy wines are perfect when it’s cold outside, and I love sipping them fireside or pairing them with winter dishes.

This time it was the 2007 Chateau Bouscasse Madiran.  I love wines from Madiran - they’re so dark and earthy and unique, and I love the acidity they tend to show, due to the fact that they’re mostly made up of Tannat.  This one was Tannat with some Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon, that sort of rounded it out and gave it a smoothness ideal for sipping on a cold evening.  The Tannat makes it bright and clean enough to pair with lots of dishes, meats, cheeses, etc. - it’s just a nicely structured wine.  The color, as expected, is very dark with hints of ruby, and the wine shows characteristics of mostly stewed dark fruit, berry, plum, some wild fruit, tobacco, meatiness, and an honest rustic presence that makes it quite expressive.

Last night I bought a few more wines online, and three of them are Sud-Ouest.  They all looked quite different from any of the South Western wines I’ve been enjoying, so I’m looking forward to trying them!

No comments:

Post a Comment