Total Pageviews

Monday, December 5, 2011

Shaw Vineyard 2008 Sauvignon Blanc

For some time now, I’ve been saying that I really need to try wines from the Finger Lakes.  And I did intend to, but somehow kept getting caught up in trying wines from lesser known producers and regions of France and got distracted from my plan to try more local and domestic wines.  Still, it’s a little ridiculous that after all this time, I hadn’t tried any Finger Lakes wines - especially since, even though I live pretty close to the North Fork region here on Long Island, Finger Lakes are still technically “local.”
Also, I hate to admit it, but I’ve been disappointed by a great many American wines over the past year or two, from many regions around the US.  So while I remain very open minded about wines from every region of the world, I’ve been noticing my strong preference for Old World style wines.  But I still wasn’t happy to admit, even to myself, that I still hand’t tried any wines from the Finger Lakes.

Shaw Vineyard 2008 Sauvignon Blanc

And on Friday evening I finally tried my first Finger Lakes wine - and I’m happy to report that it was excellent and I enjoyed it very much.  It was the Shaw Vineyard 2008 Sauvignon Blanc.  The wine is relatively light and seems really food friendly and versatile - it has characteristics of bright lemon, orchard fruit, and floral aromas, with lots of mineral characteristics, and crisp acidity and a clean feel.  The wine reminded me more of an Old World style Sauvignon Blanc with its own identity, and perhaps that’s why it appealed to me so much.  But I really enjoyed the wine and I look forward to tasting more Shaw wines, and I hope to try more wines from the Finger Lakes in the not too distant future.

1 comment:

  1. It might interesting to compare the finger lake wines, maybe even all the Shaw wines to Old World and some Aussie and NZ wines of the same varietal. I would be interested in your take.

    Also, when you write about a wine especially from relatively new vineyards it might be nice to include something about the vineyard or a link to the website. Lastly I would also like to know the price point on the wine tasted.

    I know ....... I want to know a lot ....... LOL

    Thanks Jacq.

    ReplyDelete