Total Pageviews

Monday, October 17, 2011

Weekend Wine - #eTaste with @TheVirtualTaste, Kevin Zraly at Bedell Cellars

This was a fun and exciting wine weekend, and I’m looking forward to even more wine excitement this week.

#eTaste with @TheVirtualTaste

Saturday (October 15) I participated in the first #eTaste hosted by North of 9 Fine Wines and @TheVirtualTaste on twitter.  If you’ve never checked out North of 9 Fine Wines, it’s a must - the posts are very informative and take a detailed approach to wine tasting.  The wine was the 2007 Masi Costasera Amarone Classico, which I enjoyed very much.  I made sure to decant the wine just over an hour before we began the online tasting, allowing the wine to open up quite a bit.  The wine is a deep ruby color, showing some clarity indicating that it’s approaching drinking time (although it has plenty of time to go, as indicated by the tannins), and the rim is pinkish but beginning to show traces of brick.  Characteristics include macerated blueberry, raspberry, and cherry, a bit of wild berry and bramble, chocolate, baking spices including cinnamon and clove, herbs, a hint of wood, and scorched earth.  The wine showed nice acidity but firm tannins that indicated the wine should age nicely for some time, and the finish is long and lovely and reflected the fruit and herb and spice notes.  I paired this wine with a marbled steak, gorgonzola, and walnuts.

2007 Masi Costasera Amarone Classico

Each month, @TheVirtualTaste will host an online tasting via twitter with the hashtag #eTaste.  For more information and to join us, visit North of 9 Fine Wines, which can be found right here on my blog page.
On Sunday (October 16), I visited Bedell Cellars for Kevin Zraly’s discussion and book signing.  I was so excited to hear him speak as I love his book and have learned a great deal from his writing.  His discussion was both informative and entertaining - and after meeting him and speaking with him for a few minutes, I decided that I will take his Windows on the World Wine School course, and I plan to enroll over the winter.  In addition, I got to taste Bedell Cellars Gallery and Musee, but since I will be visiting the winery again in a few weeks, I will include my tasting notes in that post.

Kevin Zraly at Bedell Cellars


No comments:

Post a Comment